Monnow Bridge Vets
Monnow Bridge Vets
External Parasite Control

External parasites include fleas, ticks, mites and lice. There are a number of products available that can treat your pet when infected with these parasites, but you can help to protect your pet from infection by regular use of spot-on preparations. By preventing infection you are helping to prevent your pet from suffering skin irritation and skin disease, worm infection and other types of disease. Many of these parasites can infect people too causing irritation and possible health problems therefore, treating your pet helps protect you and your family.

Fleas
Fleas are the most common parasite affecting our pets and can infect other pets within our home as well as bite us. Fleas are the most common cause of skin disease in the dog and cat and can also infect your dog or cat with tapeworms. Most pets are treated every one or two months with a spot-on preparation. The commonest signs that your pet may be infected with fleas are that they may persistently scratch or show evidence of skin irritation such as reddening or hair loss. Some animals may not show any signs that they are infected with fleas. How frequently you need to treat your pet depends upon the product used and we can advise you regarding treatment frequency. All pets in the household must be treated, not just the one that you think is infected. This is because all your pets will have fleas if one of them has fleas.

Household Treatment
Adult fleas do not permanently live on your pet. They only go onto your pet to feed. The majority of adult fleas will be in your home anywhere that your pet sleeps. Adult fleas represent just 5% of the total flea population in your home too. Eggs, larvae and pupae represent the remaining 95%. One adult flea can lay up to 50 eggs a day. For this reason it is important to treat your home as well as your pets. We recommend a specific spray that controls fleas and house dust mites for 12 months after one application.

Blowfly Strike In Rabbits
During the fly season (usually April to October) it is vitally important to protect your rabbit against blowfly strike (maggot infestation). Fly strike is caused by flies laying eggs in the wet or sore areas developing around the rear end of your rabbit. Maggots hatch from under the skin causing pain and extensive damage. Your pet is at increased risk from blowfly strike if they are over-weight or suffer from dental disease, diarrhoea, arthritis or have skin wounds. Fly strike can be prevented with regular application of an insecticidal product. All pets should be checked daily to prevent fly strike.

Other External Parasites
For advice regarding treatment and prevention of other external parasites affecting dogs, cats, rabbits or rodents, please talk to one of our vets.
About Monnow Bridge

History Of Monnow Bridge Vets | Staff At Monnow Bridge Vets | Directions & Surgery Location | Payments Terms
Preventative Healthcare

Vaccinations | Worming Your Pet | External Parasite Control | Neutering | Microchipping | Pet Travel Scheme
© Monnow Bridge Veterinary Surgery